“Simplify, Simplify, Simplify” –Henry David Thoreau
Doing it Different
For the past several months I have been receiving kind comments and compliments regarding my complexion. I thought it was time to write a post about what I’ve been using as a facial cleanser and moisturizer for just over a year now.
What began as a search for a home made facial cleanser and moisturizer due to financial contraints has transformed into a way of life. About that time I decided I was tired of putting all those chemicals onto my face and into my body by way of my skin.
I’m on a patient search to see what else I can replace with natural and/or organic items in Team TLC’s life. I’m experimenting with replacing my shampoo and conditioner currently and will let y’all know how that turns out when I find just the right “mix” for me! I’ve already replaced our allergy medicine and eczema treatment!
Oil Cleansing Method
Now. Back to that facial cleanser and moisturizer. I searched online and found the Oil Cleansing Method. I researched it pretty heavily. I looked up websites that break down the comedogenic factors of different oils and research based on scientific data about how oils affect the skin (facial skin in particular). I
have dry break-out prone facial skin. I experimented with many different oils to find the one I liked … sunflower seed oil, jojoba oil, almond and olive oil. My favorite and most economical so far has been Trader Joe’s Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil (amazon affiliate link). I’m using organic as that’s what I try and feed my family and if I’m putting it on my skin every morning and night, it’s soaking into my skin and I want it to be of good quality.
This has been an economically good direction for me in regards to more than just moisturizer and facial cleanser. I’m using much less make up these days too! YAY!
You could typically spend anywhere from $8 to $60 (or more) for facial cleanser depending on what brand you purchase and the the same for moisturizer. That’s anywhere from $16 – $120. It costs me about $6.50 for a 16.9 ounce bottle of Trader Joe’s Spanish Extra Virgin Organic Olive oil which lasts for 1 – 3 months depending on how much I cook with it too!
**LOVE OFFERING** If you find this content helpful, I invite you to toss a tip in the love offering bowl. With oceans of gratitude … Camilla ….
So, here’s how I do it. I started out with the recipe in the *Oil Cleansing Method and have since gone to just straight organic olive oil.
- I use one of the 4 ounce plastic squeeze bottles to store the olive oil. You will want to replace that every once in a while and/or at least give it a good cleaning. I’ve also used the glass bottle that soy sauce comes in which has the small spout at the top for pouring. I like glass because it’s easier to keep clean.
- I pour about a teaspoon (or a little more) into my hand at night. Rub my palms together and give myself a mini massage with the oil. Be sure to keep away from your eyes as it burns! It’s like getting soap in your eyes. I have a washcloth ready by the sink. When I’m done rubbing the oil into my skin and giving myself a mini facial, I close my eyes and rub it into my mascara.
- Then I wet my washcloth with nice warm water, wipe my eyes and face. You can also add to your facial experience by laying the warm washcloth onto your face and letting it sit until it’s cooled. Feels GOOD!!
- Next I wet my face with warm water and apply a tiny bit of olive oil as moisturizer. I have dry skin so I need this extra step after I’m done getting the make up off my face. Make sure to apply the oil while your face is wet so it soaks in good. I put any left over oil on my lips! GREAT lip gloss and lip balm too!
- The Global Wound and Mother Earth
- Why I Choose to Walk Into Darkness
- Why I Meditate and Journal Write
- How to Be Peaceful
- Dear Thoughts: I Want To Be Happy With Myself
- The Post Office Gift – An Inspiring Short Story
- There is More Than One Way
- 13 Ways to Keep Alive Your Childs Nature Connection
- A Rapturous Dance With Life
- Why I Live Life with Abandon
In the morning I wet my face and apply a small bit of olive oil as my moisturizer. The key is making sure you apply the oil while your face is moist so that it soaks in good.
That’s it y’all! Been doing it for over a year now and I’m very happy with the results … for my pocket book and my face and health! No more icky chemicals on my face! WoooHooo to that!
*Oil Cleansing Method from The Oil Cleansing Method website. This is the one that began my oil cleansing journey.
**This may not work for everyone. Don’t be afraid to experiment and find just the right “formula” for you and your skin.